It is winter, and it is cold. To be expected , and I am not sure how I forgot that. But wait , just a few days back it was hot as in I all you want to do is to take a dip in the pool hot ! Now it looks like the weather gods have finally made up their minds and the mercury is consistently dropping below 50s (°F of course). The grocery store aisles have been filled with winter fare, and the days are as short as it gets . Time for warm soups , blankets and book by the fire. In case you haven’t realized by now, I am old ..
This is a good time to toss in some veggies and protein to the soup pot, sit back and wait for the warm smells to fill the house. And that is what I did 🙂 This is a wonderfully stew with light warm spices – and it takes only about 10 minutes of hands on time. No it is not spicy enough to get the kids running wild in the house, but just filled with warm and aromatic flavors.
Bring all the ingredients to a boil and set it to simmer on the stove top or in the oven, while you are out and about taking care of your business. If you are a slow cooker or instant pot fan this is the soup for you ! End of the day, whether you have the latest fancy tools in the kitchen or not you will be glad to have tried this !
This is a recipe that makes use of fresh ingredients , and a dash of Garam Masala. The garam masala brings warm tones to the recipe and gives it that exotic touch, but don’t over do it, just a dash is all that you need. If it is not in your pantry or not your favorite spice blend , just leave it out of the recipe, the stew will still be delicious.
Don’t leave out the ginger , garlic and cumin though. These are all good digestive aids and immune boosters. This is a stew to warm your body from the inside, and it does taste delicious.
I like to use chicken thighs in this recipe. These are a little more flavorful than the white meat. Skinless and fat trimmed ones are what I go for. It could be boneless or bone in. Personally I find that the bone in pieces add more flavor to the recipe. Once it is cooked just take the meat off the bone. An hour and half of simmering on stove top makes the meat so tender that it practically falls off the bone.
I had a bunch of colorful carrots – purple , golden and orange and this was the perfect place for me to use them. Use the vegetables in hand – carrots , beans, turnips, potatoes, pearl onions are all good options. Cut into large large chunks and add to the pot.
Serve with any of your favorite breads – a crusty baguette , a slice of sourdough , Naan or pita bread. I bet pumpkin rolls will be lovely as well. My preference is a herbed loaf – like the turmeric and herbs pull apart loaf in the picture. I love the colors, these are perfect when the weather outside is nothing to write home about.
One Pot Spicy Chicken Stew
- 2 Lbs Chicken Thighs About 1 kg
- 1 Onions
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Minced
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Minced
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- 3 -4 Tomatoes Medium
- 1 Handful French Beans
- 4 Carrots Medium
- 1 - 2 Potatoes Medium Sized. Russet, Yukon Gold
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Salt To Taste
- Pepper To Taste
- 1/2 C Coconut Cream/ Cream Optional
- Chop the onions. Slice the tomatoes in half and squeeze the seeds and pulp out. Peel and chop the vegetables into large pieces.Place in a blender jar and puree. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottomed pan. When it is hot add the chopped onions , ginger and garlic along with a pinch of salt. Let the onions cook for a minute.Add cumin, turmeric, garam masala, paprika and a pinch of pepper powder. Stir well and add the chicken. Pour the pureed tomatoes over the chicken. Let it cook for a minute and add enough water to cover the chicken (4 to 5 Cups). Stir in the chopped vegetables.
Cover with the lid and bring to boil over medium beat .
- Turn the heat to low and let the stew simmer for an hour to hour and half.
- After about an hour remove the chicken from stew and shred the meat off the bone. Return the meat to the stew. Taste and adjust salt and pepper . Simmer for 10 more minutes. Stir in the cream (if using).
- Serve warm .
Instant Pot Directions
- Layer the liner pot in the following order – onion ginger and garlic , chicken , spices and vegetables.
- Add tomato puree and enough water to immerse the chicken – about 4 C
- Close the lid and vent . Press soup .
- Release pressure naturally.
- When the vent is open , remove the meat and de-bone. Add the meat back to the pot. Adjust salt and pepper.
- Add cream (if using) .
Looking for the lovely yellow bread to serve with this – here is the turmeric and herbs pull apart loaf recipe !