Fresh bunched carrots are a treat to cook with – but often these are appropriated by the tiny bunnies in the house before they reach the pan. Who doesn’t love these ! The tender carrots are sweet, juicy and incredibly ‘munchworthy’ ! OK I made it up , but you get drift! This time I actually got some to cook with and we made these lovely roasted carrots with garlic and parsley !
I find fresh carrots to be sweet. These do not need any added sugar – so you wont find any glazed carrots in this kitchen. I like a bit of savory spices to go with these, that is if I am cooking with them. I am perfectly happy to serve them with ranch or hummus! Garlic, cumin, cayenne and parsley – these are my go to herbs/spices for carrots. A touch of herbs, salt and a light splash of oil and roast these at high heat. How much easier can things get !
The other day, someone asked – do you have any sheet pan meals on the blog ? Well I didn’t, not that I don’t make any sheet pan meals but often times I look at these as my quick fix busy day dinners. Which means there rarely are any pictures ! So I could write about my salmon with fennel, but there is no salmon or fennel picture in the archives – YET !
Oops I got ahead of myself there. Before we get to the sheet pan , lets talk about the carrots. Sometime back my then kindergartner came home and wanted to know about carrots. So we did a little research and and boy was he surprised to find that carrots were not traditionally orange in color ! Well he is way ahead of me – I didn’t make that discovery until late into my 20s 🙂
Now a days it is not often that we find carrots in any other color than orange, and I do try to grab a bunch of colorful carrots when they are in season. So we had purple, and golden carrots here along with the usual orange – aren’t they pretty ? Unfortunately, I haven’t yet found any of the red carrots. We used to call the red ones Delhi carrots, and they were incredibly vivid in color and sweet! I never liked to cook with them, but those were the perfect ones make halva or cakes with.
Roasted carrots are an easy appetizer or side dish to make. Roast extra and chop up the rest to make a salad or add to soups or stews. If the carrots are very small and tender – about 1 cm thick or so , just leave them whole. Otherwise slice them diagonally or split right in the middle. These look pretty either way.
The purple carrots are my favorite of this batch. Don’t they look absolutely lovely ? Especially when slit in the middle ! The cores are such a lovely contrast to the purple !
Go ahead grab a bunch when you see them the next time. 5 minutes of elbow grease is all it takes to a beautiful side dish !
Roasted Carrots With Garlic And Parsley
- 1 - 1 1/2 lb Carrots (500g)
- 1/4 Cups Parsley leaves
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 2 - 3 Tbsp Olive Oil Divided Use
- Wash and trim the carrots. If the carrots are thick halve them lengthwise and cut to desired length. Skin and mince the garlic finely. Finely chop the parsley.
Pre -heat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
Make Parsely Garlic Oil
- Add half minced garlic and 1 tbsp of the minced Parsley to 1 Tbsp oil and set aside.
- Place the carrots in the sheet pan. Drizzle 1 tbsp oil over the carrots and sprinkle a little salt on top. Toss to coat and add the remaining minced garlic and parsley. Toss once more spread out in s single layer. Transfer the pan to the preheated oven and roast for 20 minutes. Check to see if it is cooked through and turn and roast for another 10 minutes , if needed.
Season And Serrve
- Drizzle the remaining parsley garlic oil over on top of the carrots. Toss to coat evenly . Taste and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle the remaining parsley on top .