I call these Valentine Palmiers, as these were first made on a valentine’s day when I was hard pressed for time :-). These are an an easy treat to whip up as long as you have puff pastry sheets handy.
Palmiers are elegant sweet crunchy cookies .It is a classic french pastry and the inspiration for this valentine’s day treat . To me a perfect valentine’s day desert has to be simple, elegant and not time consuming. Wasn’t I glad to have some puff pastry sheets in the freezer !!!
These elegant bites are ready in under 30 minutes. Usually I like to make my pastry dough from scratch , but spending hours in the kitchen is not what I planned to do on valentine’s day . If you are in the mood to make it from scratch try my recipe for quick puff pastry dough.
This recipe takes just 2 ingredients – puff pastry sheets and jam ! How easy is that !
Back to the business at hand 🙂 . It starts with puff pastry sheets. Thaw the puff pastry according to the package directions . It should still be cold to touch but pliable . If you plan to make the puff pastry from scratch here is my quick and easy puff pastry recipe , it comes together in no time at all , but requires additional 30 minutes of chilling before using .
While the puff pastry is thawing , scoop about 2/3 cups of raspberry jam or strawberry jam . The jam should be of spreadable consistency. If too thick add a couple drops of water and warm to thin the jam, but the jam should not be hot when spreading . Preheat the oven to 400° F (200° C). Keep the oven rack in the middle. Here I am using two 9X9 puff pastry sheet . Notice that the pastry sheet is pliable but still cold .
Spread half the jam all over one side of the pastry sheet . Roll the pastry from two opposite sides to the middle . If it is difficult to roll or the pastry cracks , wait for a couple more minutes and try again . Once rolled flip the roll and slice into 1 cm thick pieces . Pinch the pieces a little to form the tip of the heart . Keep the layers a little loose to allow for proper expansion .
Carefully transfer the pastries to the cookie sheet . Arrange them about 2 inches apart . Bake at 400 ° F for about 20 to 25 minutes .
The sweetness of the pastry depends on the jam . This recipe yields lightly sweet pastry . Sprinkle sugar over the jam according to your taste .
- 1 Pkg Puff Pastry Sheets
- 2/3 C Raspberry / Strawberry Jam
- Thaw the puff pasty according to package directions.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F (200° C). Place the oven rack in the middle .
- Unfold the puff pastry sheet while still a little cold . Spread the jam evenly over one side of the pastry sheet. Roll the pastry sheet from two opposite ends evenly so they meet in the middle . Flip the log formed to have the covered end on top .Cut into 1/2 inch thick slices . Place on a cookie sheet about 2 inches apart . Pinch the covered side a little give the heart shape .
- Transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the jam is bubbly and the sides start to brown .
- Remove from the oven , cool on the sheet for 2 minutes . Transfer to the cooling rack .
- Store in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days .
Important: Values are only estimates. Actuals vary depending on ingredients and serving size.
Here are a few other recipes with puff pastry sheets
Originally published on Feb, 2016. Edited for text and pictures .