These two bite curried chicken puffs are a crowd pleaser. A quick version of chicken curry rolled into bite sized puff pastry shells – it looks and tastes good. This is a party food that both kids and adults like. With a little planning you can make it ahead and bake just before your party.
Nothing matches the versatility of the puff pastry sheets when it comes to making easy appetizers. Sweet, savory , crunchy or soft all these tastes and textures are easy to achieve with these . If you are using store bought sheets all the more easier.
These unassuming sheets of dough bake and puff into many layers creating an unparalleled textural delight. Add your flavorings and you have a crowd pleaser. Making these are hassle and requires a bit of skill. If you can not find puff pastry sheets here is a quick version . these are not as good as the original puff pastry sheets ,but still create a flaky layers pastry shell.
Here is a good example of what you can do with these sheets – Two Bite Curried Chicken Puffs. Bite size pieces of chicken flavored with curry spices are rolled in the puff pastry sheets. You can assemble these ahead of time and bake when needed. Easy to make, easy to serve not to mention delicious !
This is a make ahead kind of recipe. Cook the chicken ahead of time , may be a day or 2 in advance, and keep chilled till use. Or better still double the batch and finish half with extra coconut cream or cream for an easy chicken curry. You will be surprised how different the chicken tastes in each of these versions.
Like any good curry recipe this too is built up in layers. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan. When it gets hot add the chopped onions and saute for a minute. When the onions begin to soften add the grated ginger and garlic . Stir and cook for a minute. Add the spices and stir fry for a minute till the spicy aromas fill the air. Add the chicken pieces to the pan. Sir to coat all the pieces with the onion spice mix. Stir in the coconut milk and cover with a lid. Cook the curry for 10 minutes or till the chicken is cooked through.
Take the lid off. The chicken dish should be semi dry. Squeeze a little lemon on top, mix taste and adjust salt and spice if needed. Sprinkle the cilantro on top, mix and take off the heat. Let it cool to room temperature. It can be done a day or two in advance. Keep the dish chilled till use .
Thaw the puff pastry sheets according to the package directions. These should be cold but not hard and unyielding. Cut the sheets into squares with sides of about 2.5 to 3 inches. Place a little of the chicken curry filling along one diagonal of each square .
Fold the other ends over the filling and press to close at the center. Prepare the egg-wash by beating the egg with 1 tsp of water .
Brush the egg-wash on top of the puffs and sprinkle the seeds on top. The seeds are optional , but don’t they look beautiful against the pastry sheets ?
While preparing the puffs , preheat the oven to 400°F . Place the puffs in the preheated oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes till the tops are browned nicely.
Serve with a side of ketchup of hot sauce.
So here is the recipe for two bite curried chicken puffs.
Two Bite Curried Chicken Puffs
- Puff pastry Sheet As Needed
- 1 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast (500 g )
- 1 Onion Small - about 1C Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Inch Ginger
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric
- 1 Tsp Coriander
- 1/2 Tsp Chili powder To Taste
- 1/2 C Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Tsp Salt To Taste
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1/2 Bunch Cilantro
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Tsp Nigella Seeds / Black Sesame Seeds
- Cut the chicken into 1/2 inch size cubes. Chop the onions fine. Mince the garlic and ginger.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan. Add the chopped onions to the hot oil and stir fry for a minute. Add the minced ginger and garlic along with 1/2 tsp salt and cook until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the curry spices - coriander, turmeric and cayenne - and stir fry for a minute. Add the chicken pieces and stir to coat the pieces with the spice mix. Stir in the coconut milk. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or till the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the cover. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze a little juice on top and mix in. Taste and adjust the seasonings to taste. Sprinkle the cilantro on top and turn off the heat. Set aside to cool .
- Thaw the puff pastry sheet according to the package directions.
- Cut into squares with 2.5 to 3 inch sides.
- Place 1 to 2 tablespoon of the cooled mixture on a diagonal of the puff pastry square. Fold the free ends over the filling and press close.
- Break the egg and beat with 1 tsp water to make an egg wash .
- Brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle the seeds on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (200°C) for 15 to 20 mins.
Important: Values are only estimates. Actuals vary depending on ingredients and serving size.
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear about it ! Leave a COMMENT, RATING , share a photo and TAG me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK OR GOOGLE+
YOU MIGHT LIKE Pollo A La Brasa