Isn’t this beautiful ! This loaf is made with ube commonly known as the is purple yam or purple sweet potato. In fact Ube should be for uber beautiful and Uber healthy too.These are loaded with vitamin A & C, potassium and Anthocyanin. Suffice to say that if you don’t want to drink wine (which I fail to see why ..) but want to get the all the health benefits of red grapes eat Ube. As for me I love these for the color. So here is a lovely way to add some ube to your diet – ube bread!!
Ube is a popular Asian ingredient. Many parts of India treats it as a vegetable and uses just like potatoes. There are a variety of Filipino deserts – cakes , ice creams and steamed buns where ube is the shining star. All that color without any food coloring – no wonder ube has such a fan following among cooks.
I was pleasantly surprised to come across these beauties at my local super market. Usually the Asian markets are the only place to find Ube, taros and myriad varieties of root vegetables. Now, I am a fan and would happily eat boiled ube with a dash of salt. Unfortunately that is not the case with the rest of the family. But they could not say no to this beautiful loaf – after all the color is very tempting , don’t you agree ??
Ube is purple yam used extensively in Asian cooking. Ube is used to give this bread its wonderful color as well as make it tender.
- 4 C +extra Unbleached Flour (500g)
- 1 C Mashed Ube (200g)
- 2 1/4 Tsp Yeast 1 Packet
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 Tsp Salt (12g)
- 1 C Water (250 gm)
- Warm the water until to just warm to touch about 110°F. Mix 1 Tbsp of sugar with 1/4 C water and sprinkle the yeast on top. Set aside to activate the yeast.
- Take the unbleached flour in a large mixing pan. Make a well in the center and add the activated yeast to it followed by the mashed ube. Add the salt and knead slowly adding the remaining water. The flour can absorb all the water, if following the weight measurements. Otherwise use the feel of the dough as the guide. Knead for 10 minutes until the dough becomes very soft and supple. Form into a ball and place in a oiled bowl, cover and let it rise in a warm place for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until it doubles in bulk.
- Punch down the dough and knead gently for a minute. Form into a large loaf or divide into 8 pieces and form into buns .
- Cover and let rise until almost doubled - 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Transfer the bread to the oven and reduce the temperature to 375°F (190°C).
- Bake for 30 minutes (20 minutes for buns). When cooked through the internal temperature will be 190°F (87°C) and the bread will sound hollow when tapped lightly. Bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes if needed.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely before slicing.
This is one bread making process that is thoroughly enjoyable. It is beautiful to watch the colors as they blend. One word of caution though – this bread has the taste of yam. So if you are not a fan reduce the amount of ube.
Boil and mash the purple yam well . To get a smoother mix, place the boiled pieces in a blender jar and pulse few times without adding water , alternately press the mashed ube through a metal strainer. Activate the yeast in warm water mixed with a little sugar . Add the flour salt and mashed Ube to it .
As you knead the purple color gets mixed in with the flour and creates beautiful marbled look. Knead for 10 to 15 minutes until the dough is uniform , soft and elastic . Cover and let rest till doubled – about 1 hr – in a warm environment.
Once the dough has doubled, punch it down and knead lightly for a minute. Shape into a loaf to fit 9 X 5 inch bread pan. Alternately form into 8 or 10 medium size buns. Cover and let rest for about 30 minutes until it is almost doubled.
While waiting for the bread to rise, pre-heat the oven to 400°F. Place the loaf in the oven and reduce the temperature to 375°F. Bake for 30 minutes (20 minutes if making buns). Check to see if the bread is done – Instant thermometer reading 190°F or sounds hollow when tapped. If not reduce temperature to 350°F and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.