A perfect chicken dinner, flavor infused tender meat and crispy brown skin – there are times when nothing else is as satisfying as this Garlic Roast Chicken !
There are not many things that are as simple to make and as satisfying as the roast chicken. There are so many ways to make it – with or without stuffing, infused with herbs and and spices or just with a dash of salt and pepper. This here is one of our favorite versions, falvor infused , tender Garlic Roast Chicken.
This is not a simple pat dry, drizzle oil, sprinkle salt and pepper and into the oven roast chicken. There is much more flavor in this without resorting to expensive ingredients. Chances are you already have all the ingredients in your pantry.
There are three must have ingredients in this marinade – garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. In a way it is very similar to my favorite garlicky dip – Toum. If you have toum on hand adjust salt and pepper , add a few herbs (or not) and use it to marinate the chicken.
Make a double batch of the marinade. I usually save some and serve serve it on the side.
This is my perferred setup to roast chicken. A rack placed on a lined sheet pan. Since the sheet pan is shallow this set up ensure that all sides of bird is evenly exposed to the hot air.
How to get the perfectly browned, flavorful, juicy chicken
- Make sure that the chicken is not cold/frozen when it is placed int eh oven. Letting it rest in the counter for 15 minutes or so on the counter while the oven is preheating.
- Use a roasting rack, this keeps any dripping the juices away from the skin, and leave the skin on.
- Get the marinate under the skin! There is no need for surgical measures but make sure that a good amount of marinade goes under the skin.
- Roast at high temperatures. Once the oven dial registers the desired temperature don’t be in a rush to put the bird i . Wait for 10 more minutes, before roasting the chicken. This ensure that the oven walls are hot and there wont be any drastic temperature changes as the bird goes in.
- No basting in between . Do not open the oven the oven door and let the temperatures fluctuate . Heat is a good thing – let it do its magic .
- Let it rest !!! This may be the hard part , but cutting into it too soon is like poking a hole in an inflated balloon. As the meat cools down the liquids and the protein reach a balance and you get the juicy meat instead of dry , flavorless strands .
So this was a light dinner – a pices of galic roast chicken, carrot, red onions and tart apples tossed with a light vinaigerette and a corn bread – gotta have soe carbs ;-).
- If the skin browns too fast cover with aluminum foil.
- If the chicken is cooked but the skin hasn’t browned to your likeness, keep it under the broiler for 5 to 10 minutes. Keep an eye on it though, I have had more things turn to coal under the broiler than I care to remember.
- The he chicken is usually done when the juices run clear. But if you have an instant read thermometer use it for a more precise measuremen. The internal temperature of the thickest part of breast should read 165° F (75°C)when cooked through.
Tastes better the next day ! Shread and use in salads, soups or wraps.
Cooking for vegetarians as well ?
Obviously I do not have a vegetarian chicken version, but this mariande works well on roasting vegetables. I like to use it on roast potatoes, carrots, squash.
Here is my recipe for the best garlicky roast chicken !
Perfectly roasted chicken infused with flavors of garlic. The chicken is flavored with just a few ingredients and cooked to perfection in the oven. Serve these with a side of potatoes or vegetables or cut up the meat and make salads or sandwich filling.
- 1 Whole Chicken About 3 lb
- 1/3 C Peeled Whole Garlic
- 1/4 C Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Tbsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp Other assorted dry Herbs optional
- 2 Tsp Finely Ground Black Pepper To Taste
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken . Set aside .
- Gather all the other ingredients . Place the peeled garlic in a a blender or food processor bowl . Add salt and pulse a couple times. Slowly add the oil and blend till it becomes smooth. To these add the chopped herbs , pepper and lemon juice and pulse a couple times. Taste , adjust seasonings.
- Liberally slather the bird with the half marinade on the outside as well as inside the cavity. Keep covered .
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Take a sheet pan and place a roasting rack on it. Place the chicken on a roasting rack, breast side up and transfer to the preheated oven. Pour the remaining marinade over the top. If no roasting rack is available place a few sticks of celery or even wooden skewers in pan and place the chicken on top to keep it from touching the bottom of the pan.
- Roast for 1 Hr. Chicken is done when a meat thermometer registers 165°F or when the juices run clear. If not done cover the bird with a foil, reduce the temperature to 400°F and bake for additional 20 to 30 minutes till done.
- Remove from the oven , cover and let rest for for 20 to 30 minutes before carving .
Try these other chicken recipes
Originally published on Oct , 2016. Updated with pictures.