Here is a moist and delicious pumpkin loaf . Bright yellow color and hint of warm spices make it an instant hit. The spiced sugar crust on top adds a nice crunch and complements the soft bread This quick bread comes together in a jiffy. Make it on a winter morning and start the day off on a warm note.
I make these with fresh roasted pumpkin. If not available you can substituted canned pumpkin, the flavors won’t be quite as fresh but still very good. The spices used are the usual culprits found in the pumpkin spice mix – cinnamon , cloves , nutmeg and ginger. I do not use the the mix , as I like to go a little heavy on the ginger, and not a big fan of all spice. But that is a personal thing, by all means use the pumpkin spice mix if you like.
Another thing about this recipe is that the bread is intentionally low on sugar, allowing the flavors to shine through. But I had to compensate for the lack of sugar – hence the sugar crust :-). It adds a wonderful crunch and yes the more sweetness ! And yes before I forget the leftovers , if any, are perfect for bread puddings or french toast.
This is a little different from the regular bread recipes. I made this for breakfast, and I am not very fond of making elaborate breakfast
spread. Quick , quick , quick ! that was the motto. So I used the blender to do most of the heavy work. The wet and dry ingredients are mixed separately and added together just before baking. There is no need to wait for the ingredients to come to room temperature either . Everything is good to go right out of the fridge.
Try these other fall favorites
This recipe is for a 9″X5″ or 8.5″X4.5″ loaf . If using a smaller pan fill 3/4 way full and use the leftover to make muffins. For any other shapes or sizes the cooking times may vary , so do keep an eye on it . Lets get started . Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease the pan well and set aside.
Essentially the process can be broken down to these steps :
- Mix the wet ingredients
- Mix the dry ingredients
- Make the spiced sugar
- Mix the wet and dry together to make the batter
- Pour the batter into the baking tin
- Top with the spiced sugar
- Bake 🙂
It is important to sift the dry ingredients – flour , salt , baking powder , spices together well. Add the sugar to this and mix well. Measure the pumpkin puree/ roasted pumpkin into the blender jar . Add 1/2 C milk and pulse a few times till smooth. To this mix add the eggs and oil . Blend for a minute until eggs and the oil are blended in well. All the wet ingredients are ready.
Pour the pumpkin mix into the dry flour mix. Using a wooden spoon or spatula mix the dry and wet ingredients. Make sure to scoop from the bottom to get all the flour mixed in. Tiny breadcrumb like lumps are ok, but break up any bigger ones. Once mixed, pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Mix 1/4 C sugar with cinnamon and ginger to make a spiced sugar mix. Sprinkle the sugar mix evenly on top of the batter. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes.
This bread rises a bit over the top of the pan, but not too much. When done the crust would have browned and cracked . Use an instant read thermometer or toothpick to see if it done . When cooked the instant read thermometer should read 200°F or a toothpick inserted into the middle should come out clean.
Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely .
- 2 C + 1 Tbsp All Purpose Flour (240 g)
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Dry Ginger Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Cloves
- 1/4 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 C Sugar
- 1 1/2 C Pumpkin Puree
- 1/2 C Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 C Vegetable Oil
For the Crust
- 1/4 C Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp Ginger
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 81/2 inch by 41/2 inch loaf pan.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder and the spices into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar and mix well. Set aside.
- Measure the pumpkin puree into a blender/food processor. Add 1/2 C milk and pulse a few times until smooth. To this add the eggs and oil. Blend till smooth.
- Mix the sugar and spices for the crust and set aside.
- Make a hole in the center of the flour mix and slowly pour the wet mix into it. Stir the flour into the wet ingredients and mix to get uniform batter. Do not over mix. Do not worry if there are a few bread crumb size lumps.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Spread the sugar mixture on top. Transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 40 to 50 minuets. When done the crust would have risen, browned and cracked. A toothpick inserted into the center will come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and rest in pan for 5 minutes . Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
Important: Values are only estimates. Actuals vary depending on ingredients and serving size.