Warm aromas of fresh baked garlic bread is indeed amazing ! It makes you want to reach out and take a bite, even when you are not hungry. Parsley Garlic Pull Apart Wreath Bread is a tricked out version of the everyday garlic bread. Vibrant green color and garlicky flavors go together hand in had in this delicious bread.
Every year we plop ourselves in front of the TV to watch “THE” game. For a few hours we unashamedly polish off all the snacks we can, with some of us ( who shall not be named) falling asleep along the way. Popcorn and chicken wings are often requested snacks during those times, but there is another favorite – savory pull-apart bread.
I try to come up with variations on the standard theme – different shapes, kicked up with spices , different fillings and so on. The inspirations could be from anywhere – for this wreath bread it was a piece of jewelry I had admired recently. A diamond and emerald studded choker, and I figured , if one cant afford it at least copy it and :-).
The bread is delicious, and let me add quite budget friendly. The recipe is fairly straight forward – you start with a bread dough, either fresh or store bought. If you would like more details on making bread dough check out this post.
Mince the parsley and garlic and mix with butter and salt. If using pre-made dough, bring it to room temperature. Punch down the dough and knead gently for a minute. Divide into 4 equal portions and roll each portion into 6 X 10 rectangle . Spread the butter mix evenly over rolled out pieces of dough. Cut into strips about 2 inches in width. Roll each strip . Using the knife cut each roll vertically to the center (see pic) half way through. Gently squeeze the layers to get stacked look.
Check out the video below for a detailed look at shaping the wreath.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly oil it. Arrange the pieces in a circle with the end of each piece just touching its neighbors. Cover and let it rise for 30 minutes.
Towards the last 10 minutes of rise, pre-heat the oven to 375° F. Uncover and bake the bread in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve warm !
- 4 C All Purpose or Bread Flour (480g)
- 1 C Water (240g)
- 1 Tbsp Yeast (8g)
- 1 3/4 Tsp Salt (9g)
- 2 Tsp Sugar
- 1/4 C Minced Parsley
- 2 Tbsp Garlic Minced
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Tsp Fine Sea Salt
- If you are using pre-made dough skip this step.
- Warm 1/4 C water to 110°F or just warm to touch. Dissolve 1tsp sugar in the water and sprinkle the yeast on top. Set aside for 5 to 10 minutes for the yeast to become active. If the yeast water does not froth up discard and try again.
- Take the flour in a large mixing bowl. Add salt and the remaining sugar. Stir well. Make a well in the middle of the flour mix and add the yeast water. Slowly mix the flour into the water adding as much of the remaining water as necessary to make a dough. Knead the dough for 5 minutes. Add more water or flour as necessary to make a soft dough. Knead for 5 to 10 more minutes or till the dough relaxes and feels elastic.
- Oil a bowl large enough store 3 times the quantity of the dough. Roll the dough into a ball in place in the oiled bowl. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap or moist kitchen towel. Set aside in a warm place to rise till doubled, about 1 hour.
- Mince the garlic fine. Finely chop the parsley leaves. Soften the butter. Mix all the filling ingredients well. Set aside.
- Lightly oil or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Punch down the risen dough. Knead a few times and transfer to a floured rolling surface. Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Divide the butter mix into 4 equal portions. Take one portion of dough and roll into a 6 X 10 rectangle. Spread one portion of butter evenly over the rolled out piece. Cut into long strips of about 2 inches in width. Roll each strip. Place the strip seam side down. Using the knife make a vertical slice down the roll to the center half way through, so the layers begin to open up. Gently squeeze on one end of to get stacked petal look .
- Arrange the pieces as in a circle. filling quarter of the way, with each piece just touching its neighbors on either side. Repeat for the remaining pieces of dough. Cover and let it rise for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is rising, pre-heat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Uncover the risen dough and bake the bread in the hot oven for 20 minutes . Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes . Serve warm !
- To make a healthier version use up to 50% whole wheat flour. When substituting increase the amount of water by about 1 1/2 to 2 Tbsp per cup of ww flour.