Cheesy title isn’t it ? Well the cake is cheesy too, but in a good way ! This cream cheese pound cake is an old fashioned easy to make recipe, that is loved by all. No frosting , frills , no garnishes , just simple ingredients, and absolute deliciousness !!!
There is something so comforting about these old fashioned recipes. The “super foods” and the latest dietary crazes comes and goes, but time and again we come back to these tried and tested dishes. May be it has to do with the process of making something for your loved ones, may be it another manifestation of the hunter gatherer instincts in us .. Or it could simply be that for decades and centuries cooks have perfected these recipes ..
So go ahead and get that recipe from aunt B and give it a try . Recreate the magic or reinvent it.
Back to today’s recipe , let us be clear we are not talking about low cal food. Pound cake is rich , unapologetically so. The addition of cream cheese make it a tad bit more moist and creamy. I fell in love with it as my did the kids. A slice of this cake in the snack box was often requested during school days. In goes all rich good things and out comes a delicious cake.
This is not a cake where I worry about getting that perfect even appearance. No smooth finishes or professional airbrushed look here , rather the look we go for is the home made , bulging at the seems , overflowing with goodness look. In other words a bit of cracking on the top is not just expected but desirable !!
Watch the video to see how easy and simple this recipe is.
Check out this quick video of Cream Cheese Pound Cake.
Few things to remember
- All ingredients should be at room temperature .
- Once all the eggs are incorporated fold in the flour using a spatula or the lowest setting on the mixer.
- If using extra large eggs , do not add the milk .
- Have the pans ready , and pre-heat the oven before making the batter.
- Vary the bake time according to the size of the pan. Remember the thicker the cake is , the more time it will take to bake.
- For thicker (taller) cakes like a bundt cake reduce the temperature by 25°F to facilitate even baking.
- If the tops seem to brown fast, cover with a piece of aluminum foil.
Here is the recipe for cream cheese pound cake .
Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- 2 C AP Flour
- 1 1/2 Sugar See Notes
- 1 C Butter
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 6 Eggs Large
- 1/4 C Milk
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- Ensure that all ingredients are at room temperature before proceeding.
- Butter and flour the cake pans and set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
- Sift the flour , salt and the baking powder together. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the butter and cream cheese together till mixed well. Add the sugar and cream till smooth. Add the eggs one by one , mixing in well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla.
- Fold in half the flour mix. Fold in the milk followed by the remaining flour. Immediately pour
- the batter into the waiting pan/s and transfer to the hot oven.
- Reduce temperature to 350°F and bake for 30 minutes. Insert a cake tester (toothpick/ skewer) to see if the cake is set in the center. If not set, bake for and additional 10 minutes and check again . Bake an additional 5 minutes for desired browning on top.
- Remove from the oven. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Slice and serve or wrap tightly and freeze for future use.
Important: Nutrition Values are estimates. Actuals vary based on ingredients and serving size.
Like I mentioned earlier decorations are not needed . In fact I think they take away from the hearty, rustic feel of this loaf. So I just serve it as is, with a cup of coffee or tea. It freezes well , and any leftovers are fantastic on trifles as well .
YOU MIGHT LIKE