What better way end a cookout in summer than with a sweet ice pop ? What if it is simple and good for you as well !! Well I am not kidding – these coconut Popsicles comes pretty close and they are very easy to make.
So #CookoutWeek 2017 is coming to an end and this is going to be my final post in the series. You bet it is a sweet one. All this recipe take aare 4 ingredients – coconut milk , shredded coconut , sugar and a dash of vanilla.
We consume a lot of homemade ice cream, frozen yogurt and popsicles through out the year – winter included . Years back I had bought an ice cream maker , one of the best decisions in my life . You see it still helps me maintain the “Mom Rules” status !
Frozen treats are especially welcome as the summer sun makes itself felt. I like to add a few non diary alternatives to the regular ice creams. After finding coconut milk in the diary aisle , let me say, things haven’t been the same. This Coconut Popsicle has become a favorite to make . The pure coconut flavors in this popsicle instantly transports one to the tropics.
I use coconut milk and shredded coconut in this recipe. Tender coconut bits would have been my first preference , but sadly it is hard to come by. The shredded coconut adds an interesting textural contrast. I like to keep the popsicle itself to be lightly sweet, and let the sweetened coconut shine through.
Mix everything, freeze for an hour , shake it up and into the mold it goes. 3 to 4 hours in the freezer and there it is ready to be enjoyed. Wondering why I use two step freezing ? Often times the coconut milk tends to separate as there are no additives in this recipe. The semi freezing gives better even texture.
- Unsweetened Coconut Milk - 3 C
- Sugar - 1/3 C
- Vanilla Extract- 1/2 Tsp
- Sweetened Shredded Coconut - 1/3 C
- Warm 1 C of the coconut milk and add the sugar. Stir to dissolve fully.
- Mix in the remaining milk , and vanilla. If you have an ice cream maker skip to ice cream maker directions otherwise follow these.
- Pour the mix into a shallow pan ( 8X8 cake pan )and freeze for an hour .
- Remove from the freezer and transfer to a blender. Pulse a couple times to break up the large ice crystals. Alternately use a fork to scrape the ice and mix the scrapings together with the shredded coconut. Scoop into the Popsicle molds. Freeze for 3 to 4 hours.
- Pour the mix into your ice cream maker and turn on . In about 5 minutes the ice crystals starts to form . Add the shredded coconut and process for another 2 to 3 minutes to mix in fully. Pour into Popsicle molds and freeze for 3 to 4 hours .
- Use organic unsweetened drinking coconut milk in this recipe.
- For a sweeter version increase sugar up to 3/4 C
We at the tail end of #CookoutWeek. Dont forget to enter for the giveaway !! Click on the graphic and follow the instructions in the post !!
And don’t forget to check out these recipes from the other wonderful bloggers as well ! Have fun cooking !!!