Red onions soaked in vinegar turn beautiful shade of pink. We love these pickled onions or Sirke Wale Pyaz. The only thing I remember from my first ever Punjabi thali are these beautiful pink onions. Wonder how many years (decades!) ago was that ? I am glad that I could remember anything at all from that meal!. I have renewed appreciation for the saying “you eat with your eyes first” .
It is very easy to make sirke wale pyaz. The vinegar mellows the flavors and the onions are not as pungent while still retaining some crunch. These delicious condiment is very easy to make too. Add the picked onions to salads , sandwiches,wraps or or serve with kabobs.
Small red pearl onions are the best for this recipe, but if you do not have them use sliced red onions.
Peel the skin off the onions. Wash then and pat dry completely. Boil the water and cool or use purified water. Place half the salt in the bottle and arrange the onions on top. Sprinkle the remaining salt on top and pour the vinegar. Give a gentle shake and pour enough water on top to cover the onions. The onions will float a little so do not worry about immersing them under water. Place the lid on and give a gentle shake.
Keep the bottle in a dark place – away from sunlight and let the flavors develop for at least a day, preferably 3 days. Once opened use immediately or transfer to the fridge and use within a week.
Sirke Wala Pyaz
- 1 C Pearl Onions
- 1/4 C Vinegar
- 1 C Water As Needed
- 1 Tsp Salt
- Boil and cool the water.
- Peel the onions and rinse them under cold water .
- Pat dry completely.
- Clean and dry a non reactive jar (glass/ ceramic).
- Add the half of the the salt to the jar. Place the onions on top of the salt. Pour the vinegar on top. Add enough water to cover the onions. Close the lid and give a gentle shake.
- Set aside in a cool dark place
- You can use it the next day or for better flavor let it sit for 3 days. Once opened transfer to the fridge and use within a week.
- Red pearl onions gives the best color. If not available use regular red onions or shallots.
- You could add green chilies or garlic to it as well. If adding these let the pickle sit undisturbed for 3 days before opening.
- I prefer to make these with red onions, but when not available add a couple slices of beets to the white onions to give the purple color.
These bright colored onions sure are a treat for the eyes as well as the taste buds.
Sirke Wale Pyaz is a great accompaniment to many North Indian dishes. These are just perfect to counter the spicy hot curry.