Sweet buttery cake with specks of caramel coated apple pieces – the Caramel apple pound cake takes one of my all time favorites up another level. There is absolute silence in the kitchen as I served this to the kids as an after school snack. Kid Approved !!! Not the best nutritious choice ! I agree , but well it is made with all organic ingredients, and an occassional indulgence is good for everyone :-).
Needless to say I am a big fan of pound cake. What could be simpler than mixing equal parts of the ingredients in baking ? The results are always delicious. So here is the basic pound cake recipe mixed with caramelized apples. These can be made with any firm apples that do not turn to mush as it gets cooked. I have made these with Gala and Granny Smith but any firm apple will do.
- 1 - 2 Apples Any firm variety
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 4 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 C Flour (250g)
- 1 C Butter
- 1 C Sugar
- 4 Eggs Large
- 1 Tsp Baking powder
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- Peel, core and chop apples to 1/2" cubes. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter In a saute pan. Add 4 Tbsp sugar to the melted butter. Spread evenly and let it caramelize over medium to low heat. Once the sugar has liquefied and turned light brown add the chopped apples to it. Stir to coat evenly. Cook over low heat for a few minutes to evaporate any extra juices from the apples . Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Pre heat the oven to 350°F. Oil and flour a 6 cup bundt cake pan generously. Set a side .
- Make sure that all the ingredients are at room temperature.
- Sift the flour , baking powder , salt and cinnamon together and set aside.
- Cream the butter until fluffy. Add the sugar and beat till a smooth creamy mixture is formed. Add the eggs one by one and beat in well. Mix in vanilla. Add the flour mix to the butter/egg mix in batches and mix in using a wooden spoon or spatula.
- If the caramel apple mixture has solidified, heat it for 30 seconds to 1 minute to warm the mix and melt the caramel. turn off the heat as soon as the caramel begins to melt - the mixture should not be hot. Fold the caramel mixture into the cake batter. Transfer to the bundt cake pan.
- Transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or till a cake tester comes out clean when inserted into the cake.
- Cool in pan for 30 minutes, or just warm to touch. Invert into a cooling rack and cool completely .
This is a standard pound cake recipe of equal parts of eggs, butter, flour and sugar. I have added a little bit of leavening as an added insurance, but the recipe should hold up fairly well without it. A hint of cinnamon is also introduced to complement the warm tones of the cake.
I love using bundt cake pans for these cake. The cakes looks beautiful as is or with just a touch of powdered sugar. This recipe uses a 6 C bundt cake pan, but can be made in any size pan, just keep in mind that the cooking time might be shorter.
There is cream/ milk etc. in this recipe. It is very important to ensure that all the ingredients are at room temperature before you start. Also butter and flour the cake pans and have these ready to receive the batter.
The recipe starts by coating the apple chunks in caramel. In a flat bottomed pan melt 1 – 2 tablespoons of butter. Add quarter cup of sugar to the melted butter and heat over low to medium heat. Let the sugar melt slowly and town into the golden brown caramel . Reduce the heat and gently stir if you notice any parts browning faster than the rest. To this add the peeled and chopped apples. Stir to coat the apple pieces with caramel. Cook for a few minutes until the pieces resemble the picture above. Turn the heat off and let the mix cool a little.
Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
Take the dry ingredients – flour , salt , baking powder , and the cinnamon in a bowl and mix together. Sift it 2 times to get a uniform lump free mix. Beat the butter with an electric mixer or by hand till it is soft. Add the sugar to this and beat till creamy , scraping the sides a few times. To this add the eggs one by one followed by the vanilla mixing in thoroughly after each addition.
This is a fairly thick batter. It is important to scrape the sides in between to ensure that all ingredients are mixed uniformly. Fold in the flour in batches using the paddle attachment of the mixer or a spatula. Ensure that there are no lumps.
The final step for the batter is to fold in the caramel coated apples. If the caramel has hardened, warm the pan for a minute till it loosens , mix, and add to the batter. Fold in using the spatula. Scoop the batter into a 6 cup bundt cake pan. Once the batter is levelled off , make a circular indentation along the middle with the tip of the spatula as in the picture. The will help reduce the dome effect .
Bake for 45 to 55 minutes until the tops are bromed and a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean .
Cool in pan for about 20 to 30 minutes before inverting to a cooling rack .
A slice of this with an afternoon cup of tea is heavenly. Just serve plain or with a simple dusting of powdered sugar for a quick bite with a cup of coffee or tea or serve with stewed apples, a dollop of ice cream, and may be some whipped cream.