A tender cake with caramel apple pieces in every bite ! Make it once and it will become your favorite apple cake.
Now that is one slice I could go for any time !
Buttery pound cakes are one of those old-fashioned treats that never fails to please. These are perfect for any occasion
- Serve plain with a cup of tea (My favorite)
- Make fruity trifles for a lighter summery treat
- Serve with kicked up sauces and a scoop of ice cream
What ever the season is – fall, winter , spring summer – it is pound cake season!.
Needless to say I am a big fan of pound cake. What could be simpler than mixing equal parts of the ingredients in baking ? Good things go into the batter the great things come out of the oven – sounds simple right ?
Indeed the results are always delicious. Now you mix in caramelized apples and the end result is this ‘ridiculously delicious caramel apple pound cake’ !
Use any firm apples that do not turn to mush when heated. I have made these with Gala and Granny Smith but any firm apple will do. Here is a tip – use a firm tart apple. The tartness complements the buttery sweet rich caramel
Equal parts …
This is a standard pound cake recipe that builds on the wisdom of equal parts of eggs, butter, flour and sugar. I have added a little bit of leavening as an added insurance – just in case I fold in extra caramel apples 😊. But you wouldn’t and the recipe will hold up well without it.
Into baking cakes ? Here are a few to try …
A hint of cinnamon is also added to the cake because – well isn’t the apple cinnamon match truly made in heaven ?? Cinnamon is the only spice that I use in this cake. If you would like to make it spicier add ¼ tsps of nutmeg/all spice/cloves.
There are two introduce spice to this cake, either add to the cake batter or to the caramel sauce. If you are looking for a dramatic presentation – yellow cake with brown caramel bits of apples – then add the cinnamon to the caramel.
I love using bundt pans for these cake. The cakes looks beautiful as is or with just a touch of powdered sugar. This recipe uses a 6 C bundt cake pan, but can be made in any size pan, just keep in mind that the cooking time will change depending on how thick or thin you make it.
There was absolute silence in the kitchen as I served this to the kids as an after school snack. Kid Approved!!! OK parenting experts – I agree it is not the best nutritious choice ! But you have to give me some credit for using organic ingredients and serving fresh REAL food !
Go ahead slather on the the cream cheese glaze ! Occasional (!) indulgence is good for everyone :-).
Here are the steps to making caramel apple pound cake
- 1 – 3 Make the caramel and coat the sliced apples
- 4. Prepare the bundt pan
- 5. Cream the butter and sugar really well.
- 6. Sift the dry ingredients and set aside.
- 7. Beat in the eggs, one by one, to the butter mixture.
- 8. MIx in the vanilla.
- 9 – 10 Fold in teh flour mix in batches .
- 11. Add the caramel apples
- 12. Pour into the bundt pan and bake !
- Everything at room temp, including the caramel apples.
- Cream the butter and sugar really (I mean really) well.
- Butter and flour the cake pans before you start making the batter. Tap the pans upside down on the counter a few times to get rid of any excess flour.
- Butter is sticky – So don’t forget to scrape the sides of the pan often while making the batter.
- Fold in the apples and any leftover caramel sauce. This is the time to be gentle and graceful – leave the Kitchen Aids and beaters and mixers out of it.
- The cake domes – make a slight cave effect towards the center of the cake helps reduce it a little.
- Test before taking it out.
This is a tall cake and sometime the tops brown before it is cooked fully. A cake tester (wooden skewer / toothpick ) inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean. If the tops are browned and the cake tester is sticky cover the cake pan with foil and continue baking for 10 minutes before testing again.
When using bundt pans it is important to cool in pan for about 10 to 20 minutes. Place the pan on the cooling rack and invert on to the rack after cooling for at least 10 minutes. Do not try to push the cake out when it is warm.
Here is how to make this caramel apple pound cake .
Buttery pound cake with pieces of caramel apple in each bite. This delicious cake is going to be your favorite apple cake. The tangy cream cheese galze is the perfect complement to the carmel.
- 1 - 2 Apples Any firm variety
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 4 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 C AP Flour (250g)
- 1 C Butter
- 1 C Sugar
- 4 Eggs Large
- 1 Tsp Baking powder
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 C Cream Cheese 4oz
- 1 C Powdered Sugar More if needed
- 4 Tbsp Lemon Juice Fresh Squeezed
- 1 Drop Vanilla
- Peel, core and chop apples to 1/2" cubes. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter In a saute pan. Add 4 Tbsp sugar to the melted butter. Spread evenly and let it caramelize over medium to low heat. Once the sugar has liquefied and turned light brown add the chopped apples to it. Stir to coat evenly. Cook over low heat for a few minutes to evaporate any extra juices from the apples . Turn off the heat and let it cool.
Pre heat the oven to 350°F.
Brush the insides of the bundt pan generously with oil / melted butter and dust with flour. Set a side .
- Make sure that all the ingredients are at room temperature.
- Sift the flour , baking powder , salt and cinnamon together and set aside.
Cream the butter until fluffy. Add the sugar and beat till a smooth creamy mixture is formed. Add the eggs one by one and beat in well. Scarpe down the sides of the bowl in beween. Mix in vanilla.
Add the flour to the wet mix in batches and mix in using a wooden spoon or spatula.
If the caramel apple mixture has solidified, heat it for 30 seconds to 1 minute to warm the mix and soften the caramel. Turn off the heat as soon as the caramel begins to melt . The mixture should not be hot.
Fold the caramel mixture into the cake batter. Pour the batter into the bundt cake pan. Tap pan gently on the counter to remove air air trapped in the batter.
- Transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or till a cake tester comes out clean when inserted into the cake.
Cool in pan for 10 to 20 minutes. Invert into a cooling rack and cool completely.
Spread a thick layer of tangy cream cheese glaze and serve.
Bring the cream cheese to room temperature. Beat it will with a spatula or electric beater. Add 1/2 c powderred sugar to the softened cream cheese and mix in . Mix in 3 Tbsp lemon juice and vanilla. Taste and add the remaining sugar / lemon juice if needed.
- Bring all the ingredients for the cake to room temperature before making the batter.
Pass me a slice please !!!
How would you serve it ?
- With Tangy cream cheese drizzle ?
- Topped with caramel sauce?
- Cream cheese icing and a serving of caramel apples ??
- .. and with salted caramel ice cream ??
Personally, I could go for a taste of each !!!