Agua frescas are light and refreshing drinks perfect for summer. These are flavored naturally using summer’s bounty of fresh produce. Try this watermelon flavored one to beat the heat this time.
Sip a glass of Agua Fresca on a hot day and you will immediately feel refreshed. No wonder it is such a popular drink all over Central America. It is essentially a chilled drink made with fruit juice and optional flavorings. Abundant ripe watermelons of the season makes Watermelon Agua Fresca – a refreshing start to this years #cookoutweek !
It is time for #CookoutWeek 2018 ! During the week, I am joining over 50 of my blogger friends to celebrate summer by posting delicious cookout-themed recipes. If you love grilling, frozen treats, picnics, berries, s’mores, campfire meals, and other summer goodies… you are in the right place! Here is the first and don’t forget to scroll down and enter the
giveaway , the goodies are lovely – I can personally vouch for that !
On to the Agua Fresca – no I am not going to go into the length and breadth of why it is agua fresca, and not just cold watermelon juice ! maybe someday I will, but not today ! Did I hear a sigh of relief ?? May be I should pretend like I didn’t – Oh well !
It is the start of cookout week – and it is all about enjoying the outdoors – backyards , beaches, parks and plenty of the open spaces we are blessed with! Take this time to get out , load up the coolers and lay down the picnic blanket.
Before you fire up that grill, Make sure that you have Agua Fresca or something similar handy – I am told that a bit of Tequila or Rum (personal fav) and Triple Sec works wonders in this. Frankly who can fault you if you need some motivation to keep working on the grill when the mercury hits 100°F ? At least that is
my DH’s excuse, but for the sake of our future, that has been liberated from the confines of schools for an entirety of 10 weeks (only ! ) let’s keep it kid friendly here.
The recipe for Watermelon Agua Fresca is very simple! Blend the fruit with fresh water and enjoy !
Should I filter the juice ? The recipe here asks for straining the juice, but that is not always the case. Usually when we make it at home this step is skipped. If you have a powerful blender chances are that there will be little that a strainer will catch.
Even when I filter, I do not use a fine mesh strainer. Rather I use a medium to large mesh so that larger chunks of fibers, that you could actually feel as you drink are caught. Unfiltered juice will have some solids separate if it is left to stand for some time. When that happens just stir it back in.
Do not filter if the loss of nutrition or blood sugar is an issue for you. In which case skip the filtering portion and do not add any extra sugar either.
So here is the recipe for Agua Fresca
and don’t forget to enter the giveaway and the other fantastic recipes for #cookoutweek
Watermelon Agua Fresca
- 5 C Ripe Watermelon Peeled and diced.
- 2 C Chilled water
- 1 Tbsp Fresh squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1 – 2 Tbsp Raw Sugar As needed
- Crushed Ice
- 1 Lemon
- Few Mint leaves
- Place the water melon slices in a blender jar and blend at high till smooth. You may have to do this in batches depending on your blender. Strain the juice into large pitcher or bowl.
- If the watermelon is not sweet enough add 1 – 2 tbsp of sugar to 1 C water and stir to mix. Add the water and fresh lemon juice to the pitcher and mix. Taste and add more sugar only if necessary . Stir and chill in the fridge for 1 hour or till needed .
- Slice the lemon into thin rounds. Fill a glass with crushed ice , place a slice of lemon on top and add 1 -2 bruised mint leaves. Top off with the chilled agua fresca and serve.
- Often times I start with watermelon that is already chilled. In that case you it is ready to be served right away no chilling necessary.
- Often the summertime watermelons are sweet that you don’t have to add extra sugar.
- Do not skip the lemon juice.
This week, we are also hosting a HUGE giveaway thanks to our generous #CookoutWeek sponsors. Enter below to win. Here’s what one lucky will will receive:
- Char-Broil Classic 280 2-Burner Liquid Propane Gas Grill from blog hosts The PinterTest Kitchen. This grill has 280 square inches of cooking space over porcelain-coated grates and two 12-inch side shelves for extra prep space.
- A Red KitchenAid Mixer and 5 Flavored Butters from our friends at Chef Shamy. Make the World a Butter Place® with Chef Shamy! The winner will receive Garlic Butter, Cinnamon Brown Sugar Honey Butter, Vanilla Bean Honey Butter, Strawberry Honey Butter, and French Onion Butter with Asiago Cheese to use in your favorite cookout recipes. And if you just can’t wait, use 10BUTTER10 starting today to get 10% off your Chef Shamy butter order on Amazon. These butters contain no oil, and the savory butters are perfect for keto recipes.
- A Duck Product Pack from our friends at Maple Leaf Farms consisting of 2 pkgs All Natural Boneless Duck Breasts (7.5 oz), 2 pkgs Fully Cooked Roast Half Ducks w/Orange Sauce (14 oz), 1 pkg Duck Bacon (12 oz), and 1 pkg All Natural Duck Legs (16 oz). Maple Leaf Farms is celebrating its 60th anniversary raising White Pekin ducks on local, family-owned farms.
- Butter-flavored Organic Coconut Oil from our friends at Barlean’s. This dairy free option offers all the healthy benefits of organic coconut oil, with the rich taste of butter. It’s great on toast, popcorn, baked potatoes, or cooked vegetables. You can also substitute it 1:1 for butter in baking, cooking, and frying, and of course it is perfect as a butter substitute for all your favorite cookout recipes.
- 24 Cartons of Vinegar Shots from our friends at Vermont Village. You’ll receive 12 cartons of turmeric flavor and 12 cartons of cranberry flavor. Each carton contains 12 individual, 1 fluid ounce vinegar shot pouches! This raw, organic apple cider vinegar has rich flavors from whole foods and is sweetened naturally with honey.
That’s a prize pack worth over $750!
To enter, follow our sponsors and bloggers on social media by entering your information below:
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Here’s a full list of the bloggers participating in #CookoutWeek 2018! You can find yummy recipes by checking out any of the links below:
The PinterTest Kitchen ♥ 2 Cookin Mamas ♥ A Day in the Life on the Farm ♥ A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures ♥ April GoLightly ♥ Authentically Candace ♥ Blogghetti ♥ Body Rebooted ♥ Bottom Left of the Mitten ♥ Cheese Curd In Paradise ♥ Chef Sarah Elizabeth ♥ Coconut & Lime ♥ Cookaholic Wife ♥ CookwithRenu ♥ Daily Dish Recipes ♥ Everyday Eileen ♥ Fairyburger ♥ Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice ♥ Family Around the Table ♥ Fix Me a Little Lunch ♥ For the Love of Food ♥ Frankly Entertaining ♥ Frugal & Fit ♥ Get the Good Stuff! ♥ Hardly A Goddess ♥ Herbivore Cucina ♥ Join Us, Pull up a Chair ♥ Jolene’s Recipe Journal ♥ Jonesin’ For Taste ♥ Karen’s Kitchen Stories ♥ Kelly Lynn’s Sweets & Treats ♥ Mildly Meandering ♥ Moore or Less Cooking ♥ Our Good Life ♥ Oven Tales By Syama ♥ Palatable Pastime ♥ Sarah Cooks the Books ♥ Savory Moments ♥ Seduction In The Kitchen ♥ Strawberry Blondie Kitchen ♥ Sweet Coralice ♥ Tampa Cake Girl ♥ Technotini ♥ That Recipe ♥ The Baking Fairy ♥ The Beard and The Baker ♥ The Freshman Cook ♥ The Simple Supper ♥ The Spiffy Cookie ♥ The Weekday Gourmet ♥ This is How I Cook ♥ Who Needs A Cape? ♥ Wildflour’s Cottage Kitchen
Comment below with your favorite cookout recipe!
An InLinkz Link-up