Here is a recipe for #CookoutWeek – sweet and crunchy Pineapple Cucumber Salad. Crisp sweet pineapples and crunchy cucumbers bring refreshing flavors that is prefect complement to hot off the grill meat. What is more there is absolutely no cooking involved :-).
This salad travels well. Chop and pack the fruits and veggies in a container and the prepared vinaigrette in another. Just toss together before serving. Once prepared the salad will easily stay crunchy for an hour or more. I do not like to keep it any longer as as the pineapple juices will ooze out the longer it sits .
Fresh pineapples are a joy to have. Now most of us not lucky enough to just walk into the backyard and pluck one off the bush, but do use a fresh pineapple in this recipe. Canned ones just do not have enough crunch or flavor.
There crisp cucumbers , fresh crunchy pineapple and the vinaigrette. That is all it takes – 10 minutes of prep for a side dish bursting with flavors. A word of caution though – make a lot of . It does have a habit of disappearing fast.
Pineapple Cucumber Salad
- 1 Pineapple Medium
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 Stem Scallions
- Few Mint Leaves
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil Extra virgin
- 3 Tbsp Apple cider Vinegar
- Salt - To taste
- Black Pepper - To taste
- Skin and chop the pineapple into bite size pieces.
- Skin core and chop the cucumber into bite size pieces.
- Slice the scallions, including the white into thin rounds.
- Mix Cucumber and pineapple together.
- Mix the oil and vinegar in a bowl . Whisk together with the salt till a thick emulsion is formed. Mince the mint fine and add to the dressing along with a dash of black pepper. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- When ready to serve whisk the vinaigrette once more and well and pour over the pineapple, cucumber mix . Toss and and sprinkle the chopped scallions on top .
- Serve .
Important: Values are only estimates. Actuals vary depending on ingredients and serving size.
A few variations
- Sprinkle candied walnuts just before serving.
- Omit the mint and sprinkle pomegranate seeds
- For a spicy version add one chopped Birdseye chilly (or serrano) to the vinaigrette and let it
sit undisturbed for 10 minutes to infuse.
- Make half the quantity and mix with grilled chicken and serve on lettuce wraps.
Do check out these other cookout recipes as well !