Creamy tomato soup made with ripe plump tomatoes and a piece of toast to dip and swirl !!! Isn’t that something you wish for to wash away the Monday blues! Yes I could definitely use some now ! Nothing, and I repeat, NOTHING from a CAN ever ever comes close! Creamy, sweet, tangy and aromatic – it is definitely a treat.
It is a little early for fresh tomatoes here, in fact I was just beginning to wonder when and where to plant a few plants for this year’s summer harvest. But if you you happen to come across a batch of these, and it seems like a tomato soup kind of day – go for it !
Usually this soup is something we make a few times in fall. When the tomatoes are plentiful and the weather is turning a bit nippy. But you can make these with frozen or canned tomatoes any time.
This soup can be frozen as well. If planning to freeze I would recommend that you do not add the cornstarch or coconut cream and add these when the soup is reheated.
How do you like your soup ? With grilled cheese sandwich or just plain toast or garlic bread or just a few croutons ?? Well you see a theme here ? I love these with garlicky toast while my kids would prefer to have it with grilled cheese sandwiches.
This is a vegan recipe. Why Vegan you ask ? Well, there is a little story behind this. I have a lot of friends who are vegetarians or who don’t eat meat. to Some it was a shock to find out t hat their favorite tomato soup was made with stock. To cut the long story short, when I replaced chicken stock it was an easy fix to replace the dairy cream. The cream part was easy, as any day I would prefer coconut cream to a dairy cream !
All these substitutions hasn’t taken away the taste – it is still creamy and satisfying! This plant based version works so well that my meat eating family does not seem to notice the vegan aspect of this soup – they eat it ‘coz it is delicious !
So here is my tomato soup recipe , vegan , fresh and absolutely delicious !
Cream Of Tomato Soup - Vegan
- 6 Tomatoes Medium
- 1/2 C Celerey Chopped
- 1/2 C Carrot Chopped
- 1/2 C Yellow/White Onion Chopped
- 1-2 Bay Leaf
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Clove Garlic
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1 C Coconut Milk Notes
- Salt To Taste
- Pepper ToTaste
- 1 Tsp Corn Starch
- 1/4 C Cashewnuts
- 1/2 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper To Taste
- 1 Tsp Brown Sugar
- Cut the tomatoes cross wise and remove the seeds and pulp. Cut each piece into quarters and set aside.Chop the vegetables , and crush the garlic.If using the cashew nuts soak it in water.
- Heat oil in a soup pot. When it becomes hot add the bay leaf along with crushed garlic. If using chili flakes add them now. Stir fry for a minute and add the chopped onions , carrots and celery. Sprinkle a little salt on top and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the vegetables soften. Add the tomatoes cover with the and let it cook for 10 to 15 minutes until the tomatoes soften.
- Remove from the pan fish out the bay leaves. Transfer the mix to a blender and puree - or use an immersion blender to puree.
- Mix 1 Tsp corn starch with 1/2 C water . Grind the cashew nuts into a smooth paste.
- Return the puree to the soup pot, add enough water to bring to desired consistency. Add oregano. Turn on the heat and bring it a boil. Once it reaches rolling boil , add the ground cashew nut paste, stir the corn starch solution and add to the soup. Bring it back to boil and reduce to desired consistency.
- Stir in enough of the coconut cream (up to 1 c), I usually use 1/4 to 1/2 C depending on brand, for the desired creaminess . Taste and adjust salt and pepper. If the soup tastes sour mix in 1 tsp of brown sugar .Let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- For nut free version omit the cashew nut paste and increase the coconut cream.
- Adjust the coconut cream to your taste. The amount used also depends on how tart the tomatoes are.
Important: Nutrition Values are estimates. Actuals vary based on ingredients and serving size.
So here it is , get the bowls out and serve! Fresh, light and healthy and not to mention delicious!
Want more tomato flavors ? How about serving it with a slice of my rustic sun dried tomato loaf
For more recipes check out these collections