I love buttermilk . Here is this wonderful ingredient that enhances the flavor and texture of your baked goods without adding copious amount of fat . It is easy to make buttermilk at home . Spiced/sweet buttermilk was a favorite drink during summer months in India . There are some really good brands in the market now without additives . I add it to breads , pancakes and even cakes . The results are always fantastic . Here is a basic WW Buttermilk loaf that is soft and light and airy , perfect for a breakfast toast or a quick sandwich .
Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) . Place the loaf pan in the middle rack . Reduce the temperature to 350°F (175°C) and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until done . When done the crust will have the lovely golden brown color and the bread will sound hollow when tapped on the bottom .
Cool in the pan for 10 minutes . transfer to a wire rack and cool completely before slicing .
Whole Wheat Buttermilk Bread
- 2 1/4 C Whole Wheat Flour
- 3/4 C Bread/All Purpose Flour Unbleached
- 1 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 C Buttermilk Low fat
- 1/2 C Water
- 2 Tsp Yeast
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Butter - 1 Tbsp Unsalted (Optional)
- Bring the buttermilk and butter (if using) to room temperature . Warm the water to 100 - 110 °F , or just warm to touch . Mix the flours and salt in a large mixing bowl .Make a well in the center and add the honey , yeast and 1/4 C water .Give a a gentle stir and keep aside for 10 minutes to activate the yeast .
- Mix everything together using a spatula / wooden spoon while adding the 1C buttermilk . If the dough is too dry and difficult to stir add the remaining water by tablespoons , just enough to keep stirring . Once all flour is mixed in cover and let the dough rest for 20 minutes .
- Turn out onto a lightly floured kneading surface and gently knead for 10 minutes . Add the softened butter to the dough and knead it in . If dough is too wet even after a few minutes of kneading add a little more flour, 1 Tbsp at a time .
- Lightly oil a medium bowl and transfer the dough to it . Coat the top with a little oil , Cover with a plastic wrap or damp kitchen towel and let rise till doubled , about 60 to 90 minutes .
- Punch down the dough , knead a few times in the pan and shape into a log . Lightly spray the loaf pan , and transfer the dough to it . Cover with a plastic wrap or damp kitchen towel and let rise until doubled , about 30 to 45 minutes .
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) . Transfer the dough to the middle rack . Reduce the temperature to 350°F(175°C) and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until done .
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes . Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before slicing.
Important: Values are only estimates. Actuals vary depending on ingredients and serving size.