The other day I blogged about our favorite Tandoori chicken . When I am making this I usually make a few extra pieces . This lightly spiced chicken is a delightful addition to many other dishes . The kids love it when I pair two of their favorite dishes together and make – Tandoori Chicken Pizza . The adults aren’t complaining either. Serve with a side salad and there you have a complete meal ..
For this recipe you can use a store bought pizza dough or home made one . I definitely prefer homemade . You can find my go to recipe here . But please say no to store bought crusts …
In a small saute pan heat one teaspoon oil and add 1/4 tsp garam masala and 1 teaspoon grated ginger and 1 tsp grated garlic . Once the the ginger start to brown add 1/2 C Tomato sauce . Stir well , adjust seasoning and turn off the heat . If you prefer your sauce to be spicy add chilly powder or flakes to the oil along with ginger .
Dice the chicken into 1cm thick cubes . Dice onions into a 1 inch pieces . Corn and diced bell peppers are nice additions too .
Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or lightly spray oil and sprinkle some cornmeal / sooji over it . Roll out the dough into desired thickness , for a medium thick pizza roll into 1/4″ thickness . Transfer it onto the prepared sheet pan . Spread the sauce on the base , arrange the chicken and onions pieces over it . Finish with shredded mozzarella . Bake in preheated oven for 12 – 15 minutes until the cheese is melted .
Troubleshooting :Household ovens are not do not get as hot as industrial ones , it is quite possible for the center to remain a little soggy . One way to avoid this is to go light on the toppings toward the center . If you encounter it multiple times try to pre-bake the crust .
- If you like thicker pizza crust , bake the base for 7 minutes before layering the toppings .
- If using Marinara sauce / Tomato Basil sauce do not add garlic.
- A pizza stone is a good idea and creates a crisper crust.
Tandoori Chicken Pizza
- Pizza Dough - 1/2 Portion 3/4 to 1 lb )
- Onion - 1/2 C Diced
- Chicken - 1 C
- Mozzarella - 1 C shredded
- Tomato Sauce - 1/2 C
- Ginger - 1 Tsp grated
- Garlic - 1 Tsp grated 2 Cloves
- Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
- Chili Flakes - 1/2 tsp optional
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a saute pan .Add the garam masala , chili flakes (optional), grated ginger, and grated garlic to the hot oil.Once the ginger starts to brown add the tomato sauce , stir well adjust seasoning and turn off the heat .
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Roll the dough out into a circle of 12" to 14 " diameter.Sprinkle cornmeal on a cookie sheet or spray oil lightly .Transfer the pizza base to the prepared sheet .Spread the sauce evenly over the base .Arrange the chicken and vegetables , and sprinkle grated cheese over it .
- Transfer to the hot oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and the sides start to brown .