Look at that bowl of Goji Berries .. aren’t those gorgeous ? These berries are a powerhouse of nutrition as well. There has to be some catch right ? Yes, a small one.. These little nuggets are not much fun to eat plain. I am happy to pop a few in the mouth, but as for the little guys in the household , one taste was all it took before they made up their mind. Click for the video recipe .
This lovely cake uses these berries and oranges , two bright ingredients that transform the cake into something utterly delicious and healthy. Oh, did I mention that you can make this with whole wheat pastry flour or atta … and wait .. it is dairy free as well. Now if you as me , there is no need to worry abut having that second slice!!!
Enough with the nutrition blabber and get on with it you say ! Well I can’t agree more. How ever nutritious something is, if it is not palatable there is not much use talking about it. Again I digress ..
Dried goji berries are a little chewy, and I usually soak them for a little bit to soften them. Plumped up berries are lovely in salads and can be easily blended in smoothies. Let the berries soak for 10 minutes to an hour or more depending on how soft you want them. For this I cake soak them for an hour. It is just long enough to soften the berries without not turn them into a mush.
Beat the oil and sugar well , add the eggs one by one and beat till soft and pale. To this add the vanilla extract and mix well. Add half the dry ingredients and fold in using the spatula. Add the soaked goji berries with the juice and the orange zest. Mix in and fold in the remaining flour mix.
Pour into a prepared pan – I have used an 8 inch circular spring form pan with about 2 ” sides. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes at 350°F.
These cakes taste beautiful just as it is . Chocolate ganache frosting goes absolutely lovely with this cake , but if you like to keep the frosting dairy free as well use a simple orange glaze .
A delicious tea and moist tea cake with citrus and goji berry flavors .
- 2 C White Whole Wheat Flour See Notes
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 C Sugar
- 3/4 C Oil
- 2 Eggs Large
- 1/3 C Goji Berry
- 1 C Orange Juice
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1 Tsp Orange Zest
- Soak the goji berries in orange juice for at least an hour.
- Mix the oil and sugar together. Beat well until blended smooth. Add eggs to this mix and mix till it becomes smooth and pale yellow in color. Stir in vanilla extract and orange zest.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Add half the flour mix to the wet mix. Fold in the flour mix and add the soaked goji berries along with the orange juice. Stir till mixed well and fold in the remaining flour .
- Transfer to a prepared 8" circular cake tin.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 40 to 45 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out dry.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes before transferring into a cooling rack. Cool completely before slicing.
- Serve plain or with Chocolate Ganache Frosting.
If using AP flour reduce the Orange juice by 1/4 cup.
Atta or any other fine ground whole wheat flour works perfect in this recipe.