Whole wheat roti is best served piping hot. The picture of mom or grandma sitting by the fire and making piping hot roti on demand is comforting, but not very practical especially when I happen to be the cook in question. I guesstimate (wow, didn’t realize that it was an actual word ! ), and often time there are leftovers. Here is one way I turn the leftover roti from the previous night’s dinner to delicious breakfast rolls – Egg Roti Rolls. These are healthy, nutritious and a great way to start the day with.
The basic recipe uses eggs , tomatoes , onions and chilies. This is an easy recipe to adapt to your liking. Spice up by adding garam masala, chili powder and turmeric. Add thinly sliced mushrooms, bell peppers, spinach, grated carrots are other vegetables that goes well in this recipe. For an added fresh taste various add a handful of chopped fresh herbs like – cilantro, mint or dill. The cheese lovers can sprinkle some cheese on top just before rolling.
Roll it up and tucked in a napkin , this is a grab and go breakfast for those monday mornings when everyone starts the day with one leg out the door … Happy Monday !!!
Egg Roti Rolls
- 3 Roti/Tortilla
- 3 Eggs
- 1/4 C Onions Chopped
- 1 Tomatoes Small
- 1 Green Chili Optional
- 1/4 Tsp Salt To taste
- 2 - 3 Tsp Oil
- 1/4 C Thinly sliced veggies
- 1 - 2 Tbsp Cilantro/dill/mint Chopped
- Break the eggs into a bowl and beat well.
- Chop the onions fine. Cut the tomato cross wise and scoop out the seeds and pulp. Chop into small pieces. Chop the veggies, chilies and other fresh herbs fine. Add the chooped veggies and herbs as well as salt to the beaten eggs and mix well.
- Heat a thick bottomed pan - like a cast iron griddle- and coat it with 1 tsp of oil. When the oil becomes hot spread about 1/3 of the egg mix on it . Let it cook for 10 seconds and place one roti on top. Press the roti down and cook for 30 seconds before flipping it. Cook until all the egg mix solidifies.
- If using cheese spread on top before removing from the pan and roll up the roti . Transfer to a serving place and serve warm.
- Repeat with the remaining egg mix.
Important: Nutrition Values are estimates. Actuals vary based on ingredients and serving size.
This is a very easy recipe as easy as 1, 2,3 … well in this case 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 🙂
- Beat eggs well
- Mix in salt spices and chopped veggies
- On a hot skillet spread the eggmix just like making an omlette
- Place the roti on top and cook for a few seconds
- Flip and cook till all the egg is set.
- Roll and serve
Here is a quick recap of the recipe.