Bright red is the color of the season and no wonder cranberries are in my mind again . These tart bright red berries are a treat for the eyes. Believe it or not they pack more antioxidants than blueberries. My kids are find it easy to pop a few in the mouth at a time. Personally I am not a big fan of raw cranberries but when paired with the right ingredients they are indeed a treat for the taste buds.
This is a quick bread finds its way to my kitchen a few times every fall. The hardest part in my mind is chopping the cranberries. The first time I made it , I followed the recipe from the back of the packaging :-). It was a good recipe to start with, but I am glad to have tinkered with it. Over the years it evolved into a healthier and more flavorful version.
Measure the dry ingredients – the flours , baking powder , salt and sugar – into a medium mixing bowl . Mix thoroughly .Make a well in the center . Pour in the Egg , oil and Orange juice and zest mix . Use a spoon / spatula to mix the dry ingredients to the wet .Once the mix becomes uniformly wet add the cranberries and chopped nuts The addition of fresh berries and walnuts makes it a dense bread . We are not expecting a very airy spongy crumb . Once the nuts and berries are mixed in , transfer to the pan and bake in the 350 degree oven .
Everything came together in a snap . Simple as can be … Here I have used a piece of parchment longer than required. This makes removing the removing the cake from the pan easy .
An easy breakfast quick bread made with part whole wheat flour, filled with tart cranberries, flavorful orange juice and crunchy nuts . This bread is full of with flavors and wonderful textures. Cranberries and orange complement each other while the walnuts add a bit of crunch.
- 1 C Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 C All Purpose Flour Unbleached
- 3/4 C Sugar Raw
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 3/4 C Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
- 1 Orange
- 2 Tbsp Melted Butter /oil
- 1 Egg Large
- 2 C Cranberries Fresh or Frozen , coarsely chopped
- 1/2 C Walnuts / Pecan Chopped
- 1 C Confectioner’s Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Orange Juice
- 1 Tsp Orange Zest
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Break the egg into a small bowl and beat well .
- Zest the orange and squeeze to extract the juice, add this to the orange juice to measure 3/4C. Mix the zest with he juice.
- Take the dry ingredients – flours , sugar, baking powder, salt – in a medium mixing bowl. Mix well and make a well in the middle. Pour in orange juice, oil/butter and the beaten egg into it. Mix until well blended. Stir in cranberries and nuts. Spread evenly in loaf pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes . Reduce the temperature to 325ºF and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely. Wrap and store overnight.
- Mix the ingredients for the glaze together until smooth . If the glaze feels too thick add a few more drops of orange juice to thin it . Drizzle over the loaf .