This coconut curry soup is the perfect way to incorporate more veggies into your diet in a scrumptious way! More over it is a one pot meal that can be prepped ahead and made fresh on time.
Planning to start the new year off healthy ? Well, you are at the right place. Not only is it healthy , it is easy to make and perfect for the weather we have now. Yes is COLD outside.
I love this coconut curry soup on a cold evening . It is one recipe that can accommodate a vegan, a vegetarian or someone who does not think a meal is complete without meat. One stop shop that caters to all.
A recipe that uses all these colors and more – I left out all yellow and orange peppers – is just what you need to get more veggies into every day diet easily. So how do you do it ? Simple copy the experts!
The soup is comprised of 2 distinct elements –
- Base, the fragrant liquid that binds everything together
- Everything else, protein , veggies , herbs or as I call it the RAINBOW
These two parts come together at the table . Sounds simple doesn’t it ?
The beauty of it is that all the prep work can be done in advance, even the serving bowls can be prepped ahead of time and refrigerated. Come dinnertime , pour the piping hot soup base into the bowls !
On a side note : if there is another salmonella outbreak and you don’t want to eat anything uncooked , jut add all the RAINBOW into the onto the hot soup and simmer for a couple minutes.
Assembling the soup at the last minute has its own advantage
- The veggies stay crunchy
- The colors of the rainbow just pops – in other words purple cabbage stays purple , and the broccoli stays deep green !
Looking for more soup ideas ?
The soup base
The soup base is made with curry powder, coconut milk and chicken/vegetable stock. Use your favorite version of curry powder or use the spice blend in the recipe.
Use a mild curry powder, the idea is to gently flavor the soup. It should bind all the elements together and not overpower.
- Tofu – press and get as much water out as possible, slice and pan fry.
- Chicken – slice thin and add to the broth as it cooks or use pre cooked shredded chicken
- Shrimp / Scallops – clean and pat dry. Shallow fry until just turns pink.
- White Fish – slice very thin. I am not a fan of fish in this soup. But yes, it is an option .
- Carrots – Shredded or sliced thin
- Cucumber – sliced about ½ inch thick
- Cabbage – shredded
- Broccoli – Florets
- Cherry tomatoes
- Bell Pepper – Sliced thin
- Bean Sprouts
Herbs and Spices
- Chilies – sliced/slit to taste. User thai chilies, jalapenos or any you like or leave it out altogether.
- Basil – Freshly washed sprigs
So here are the step by step instructions and the recipe to assemble the coconut curry soup.
Eat the Rainbow Coconut Curry Soup
- 7 oz Rice Noodles Notes
For the broth
- 1 Shallot minced
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- ½ in Ginger minced
- 1 Can Coconut milk full fat
- 6 C Veg/Chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp Curry powder store bought / use recipe below
- Salt To Taste
Protein (Pick 1 )
- 2 C Thinly sliced Chicken Breasts
- 1 C Thinly sliced fish Any white fish fillets (Notes)
- ½ lb Shrimp / scallops
- 1 lb Firm Tofu cubed
- 2 C Broccoli Florets
- 2 C Shredded Purple cabbage
- 1 C Sliced carrots
- 1 C Bean Sprouts
- 1 C Bell pepper/Tomatoes/Cucumbers
- A few Cilantro / Fresh basil / Spring onions
- Lemon wedges
- Sliced chilies
For Curry Powder
- 2 Tsp coriander
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Turmeric
- ½ Tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ Tsp Nutmeg
- ½ Tsp Black Pepper
- ½ Tsp Cayenne optional
Cook the protein
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. If using tofu/chicken/shrimp/scallops pat it dry and add to the pan. Cook until the meat turn opaque or the tofu begin to brown. Turn and cook the other side. Remove and reserve.
Make the broth
- In the same pan add 1 to 2 tbsp more oil if needed. When hot add shallots , ginger and garlic. Cook until the shallots turn soft. Add the curry powder and cook for 30 more seconds. Add the coconut milk and mix in. Once the coconut milk is warm add the stock. Cover and let it simmer for 30 mins. Taste and adjust salt.
- Cook the noodles according to the package directions
- Heat the broth to boiling.
- Portion the noodles, the protein of choice and vegetables into serving bowls. Pour the hot soup broth over it. Garnish and serve immediately.
For the curry powder
- Mix all the spices lisgted under curry powder and store in an airtight container.
Need more easy dinner ideas ?
- Curried Salmon With Spinach
- Easy Chicken Curry
- Shakshuka – Eggs never tasted better !
- Penne With Chicken and Veggies