These cute owls were made for a Halloween party. I must confess , this is not entirely my idea . The inspiration ,of course, came from a few children’s books and craft ideas. Sliced olives for eyes , piece of carrot for the nose and some sesame seeds to give the feathery look . They look cute and taste delicious . There really is nothing scary or spooky about these little guys and these can be fun for any kids party.
I used a cheesy pastry dough for the base, but these can be made using bread dough , puff pastry or even pie crust. You don’t need any special equipment either. I used a food processor for the pastry dough , but you a pair of forks does the job pretty well too.
Measure the flour and salt into the bowl of a food processor . Cut the cold butter into 1/2 inch cubes and add to the flour . Pulse for a few times until the mix resembles coarse bread crumbs. Alternately cut the butter into the flour in the mixing bowl itself using a pair of forks or a pastry cutter . Tip out into a mixing bowl and add the cheese . Stir well . Sprinkle a little water (ice cold) on top and mix using a spatula. The flour swill start to stick together. Sprinkle a little more water and repeat the process until all the flour sticks together. Form into a ball . Cover with a plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out into a 1/4″ thick circle . Cut out circles 3 to 4 inches in diameter. Transfer the discs to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper . Pinch out ears as shown in the picture . Place 2 slices of black olives for eyes and small triangles of carrots as nose . Sprinkle some sesame seed for the feather . Transfer to the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden and the cheese begins to brown a little . Remove from the oven . Cool in pan for a couple minutes .
Cheesy Owl Bites
- 2 C Flour (240g)
- 1/2 C Butter (110g)
- 1/4 C Water (50g)
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 11/2 C Grated Cheddar
- 1/4 C Sliced Olives
- 1 Carrot
- 1 - 2 Tbsp Cumin/Sesame Seeds
- In a blender or food processor take the flour and salt . Cut the cold butter into 1/2 inch cubes and add to the blender . Pulse a few times till the mix resembles breadcrumbs . Dump the mix into a mixing bowl and add the freshly grated cheese.Mix using a spatula. Sprinkle a little of the ice cold water over the mix and gently mix using the spatula . The mix should start sticking together. Sprinkle just enough water to bring all the flour together. Form into a ball, flatten to a thick disc, cover with a plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Remove the pastry dough from the fridge and leave on the counter for 5 to 10 minutes. Cut small triangles from the carrot for the noses. Flour a rolling board generously and roll the dough out into a disc about 1/4" thick. Cut circles out from the rolled out pastry dough. Pinch 2 ears about 1" apart on the circles. Place the discs on the cookie sheet. Arrange black olives for the eyes, carrot for the nose and sprinkle the sesame seeds for the tiny feathers .
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the pastry looks golden and cheese bits begin to brown. Remove cool in pan for a couple minutes . Transfer to a cooling rack .
Important: Values are only estimates. Actuals vary depending on ingredients and serving size.