Here is a colorful cake that takes no food color or hard to pronounce ingredients! The flavors are incredible and taste unique. Just a dab of cream cheese frosting will make it feel and taste more luxurious !
This cake has me almost file the recipe under vegetable/side dish. I think it could get away with it too , well almost .. Beet cakes are not as popular as carrot cakes, with good reason too . The strong beet flavors can be overpowering . But here combination of carrots and beets makes for a very pretty orange tinged cake with specks of bright red. Reminiscent of bright summer sunsets this is a welcome treat to have on a cold winter evening . Frosting is absolutely not required ….
It all starts with a cup of finely grated carrots and 1/2 C of finely grated beets. Do not mix the. Use the fine side of the grater, but do not make it into a paste. I would not recommend a food processor. The pieces should hold their shape.
Oil and flour the cake pan. This is one cake that is perfect for a bundt pan. If you are using a bundt pan , be sure to oil all the nooks and crannies really well. It is time to preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
Beat the eggs , coconut oil and sugar together . We are looking for a smooth yellow emulsion. It helps to use fine sugar, but if you only have coarse sugar use the blender/mixer to powder it . Mix in the vanilla essence .
Sift the dry ingredients together – flour , salt , spices and the baking powder . Add half the dry ingredients to the wet mixture . Use a spatula or paddle attachment to mix it in . mix in the orange juice followed by the remaining dry ingredients . If nuts are to be added , add 1 tbsp of dry mix to the nuts and mix to coat evenly .
Add the grated carrots and mix followed by the nuts if using . The last thing to go in are the beets . Gently fold in the beats . Do not over mix . The color of the batter will change but the beet specks to shine through
Bake at 350°F / 175°C for 40 to 50 minutes if using a bundt pan or for 30 to 35 minutes you are using 8″ or 9 ” square pans. For any other sizes adjust times times accordingly.
Dot with cream cheese frosting or serve plain with a cup of tea
Carrot Beet Cake
- 2 C All Purpose Flour Unbleached
- 1 C Sugar
- 3/4 C Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 3 Eggs Large
- 1 C Carrots – raw grated fine
- 1/2 C Beets – raw grated fine
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 Tsp Nutmeg a pinch
- 6 Tbsp Orange Juice
- 1/2 C Walnuts/Pecans chopped optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Oil and flour the a 8.5″ square pan.
- Finely grate the carrots and beets. If adding the nuts chop and lightly toast them.
- Beat the eggs, oil and sugar to form a pale yellow emulsion.Mix in the vanilla essence.
- Sift the dry ingredients – flour, spices, salt and baking powder – together.
- Add half the dry ingredients to the wet mix. Mix in gently avoiding lumps. Add the orange juice and mix well. If using nuts,add 1 to 2 tablespoons of dry mix with the nuts, stir to coat.
- Fold in the remaining dry ingredients.Fold in the grated carrots, stir well. Fold in the nuts followed by the beets.
- Transfer the batter to the pan and bake for 30 minutes.The cake is done when a toothpick/tester inserted in the middle comes out clean .
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Invert onto a cooling rack and cool completely .
Important: Nutrition Values are estimates. Actuals vary based on ingredients and serving size.
- The carrots and beats need to be uncooked and grated fine .
- If beets juices are oozing out , place the grated beets in a strainer and give a gentle squeeze to remove extra juices .
- Do NOT skimp on the spices . These are required to tame the beet flavors.
- If using nuts lightly toast them .
- I recommend coconut oil as the mild nutty sweet flavor of coconut goes well with this cake , but any flavorless oil can be substituted .
- Whole Wheat flour can be substituted for AP Flour either partially or fully . In this case extra 2 tbsp of orange juice for each half cup of WW flour . If going for full substitution use only 1 1/2 C WW flour and leave the other ingredients unchanged .
Sunday 23rd of January 2022
So easy and tasty!
Saturday 29th of August 2020
The Beet Carrot cake cooked well & was delicious served with fresh cream topping decorated with shredded carrots and Beets with thinly sliced Pink Lady apple in the middle.
Sunday 30th of August 2020
Wow, your description makes me want to go and bake it again now :-). Glad you enjoyed it!