This cake has me almost file the recipe under vegetable/side dish. I think it could get away with it too , well almost .. Beet cakes are not as popular as carrot cakes, with good reason too . The strong beet flavors can be overpowering . But here combination of carrots and beets makes for a very pretty orange tinged cake with specks of bright red. Reminiscent of bright summer sunsets this is a welcome treat to have on a cold winter evening . Frosting is absolutely not required ….
It all starts with a cup of finely grated carrots and 1/2 C of finely grated beets. Do not mix the. Use the fine side of the grater, but do not make it into a paste. I would not recommend a food processor. The pieces should hold their shape.
Oil and flour the cake pan. This is one cake that is perfect for a bundt pan. If you are using a bundt pan , be sure to oil all the nooks and crannies really well. It is time to preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
Beat the eggs , coconut oil and sugar together . We are looking for a smooth yellow emulsion. It helps to use fine sugar, but if you only have coarse sugar use the blender/mixer to powder it . Mix in the vanilla essence .
Sift the dry ingredients together – flour , salt , spices and the baking powder . Add half the dry ingredients to the wet mixture . Use a spatula or paddle attachment to mix it in . mix in the orange juice followed by the remaining dry ingredients . If nuts are to be added , add 1 tbsp of dry mix to the nuts and mix to coat evenly .
Add the grated carrots and mix followed by the nuts if using . The last thing to go in are the beets . Gently fold in the beats . Do not over mix . The color of the batter will change but the beet specks to shine through
Bake at 350°F / 175°C for 40 to 50 minutes if using a bundt pan or for 30 to 35 minutes you are using 8″ or 9 ” square pans. For any other sizes adjust times times accordingly.
Dot with cream cheese frosting or serve plain with a cup of tea
- The carrots and beats need to be uncooked and grated fine .
- If beets juices are oozing out , place the grated beets in a strainer and give a gentle squeeze to remove extra juices .
- Do NOT skimp on the spices . These are required to tame the beet flavors.
- If using nuts lightly toast them .
- I recommend coconut oil as the mild nutty sweet flavor of coconut goes well with this cake , but any flavorless oil can be substituted .
- Whole Wheat flour can be substituted for AP Flour either partially or fully . In this case extra 2 tbsp of orange juice for each half cup of WW flour . If going for full substitution use only 1 1/2 C WW flour and leave the other ingredients unchanged .