Here is a colorful cake that takes no food color or hard to pronounce ingredients! The flavors are incredible and taste unique. Just a dab of cream cheese frosting will make it feel and taste more luxurious !
This cake has me almost file the recipe under vegetable/side dish. I think it could get away with it too , well almost .. Beet cakes are not as popular as carrot cakes, with good reason too . The strong beet flavors can be overpowering . But here combination of carrots and beets makes for a very pretty orange tinged cake with specks of bright red. Reminiscent of bright summer sunsets this is a welcome treat to have on a cold winter evening . Frosting is absolutely not required ….
It all starts with a cup of finely grated carrots and 1/2 C of finely grated beets. Do not mix the. Use the fine side of the grater, but do not make it into a paste. I would not recommend a food processor. The pieces should hold their shape.
Oil and flour the cake pan. This is one cake that is perfect for a bundt pan. If you are using a bundt pan , be sure to oil all the nooks and crannies really well. It is time to preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
Beat the eggs , coconut oil and sugar together . We are looking for a smooth yellow emulsion. It helps to use fine sugar, but if you only have coarse sugar use the blender/mixer to powder it . Mix in the vanilla essence .
Sift the dry ingredients together – flour , salt , spices and the baking powder . Add half the dry ingredients to the wet mixture . Use a spatula or paddle attachment to mix it in . mix in the orange juice followed by the remaining dry ingredients . If nuts are to be added , add 1 tbsp of dry mix to the nuts and mix to coat evenly .
Add the grated carrots and mix followed by the nuts if using . The last thing to go in are the beets . Gently fold in the beats . Do not over mix . The color of the batter will change but the beet specks to shine through
Bake at 350°F / 175°C for 40 to 50 minutes if using a bundt pan or for 30 to 35 minutes you are using 8″ or 9 ” square pans. For any other sizes adjust times times accordingly.
Dot with cream cheese frosting or serve plain with a cup of tea
Carrot Beet Cake
- 2 C All Purpose Flour Unbleached
- 1 C Sugar
- 3/4 C Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 3 Eggs Large
- 1 C Carrots – raw grated fine
- 1/2 C Beets – raw grated fine
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 Tsp Nutmeg a pinch
- 6 Tbsp Orange Juice
- 1/2 C Walnuts/Pecans chopped optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Oil and flour the a 8.5″ square pan.
- Finely grate the carrots and beets. If adding the nuts chop and lightly toast them.
- Beat the eggs, oil and sugar to form a pale yellow emulsion.Mix in the vanilla essence.
- Sift the dry ingredients – flour, spices, salt and baking powder – together.
- Add half the dry ingredients to the wet mix. Mix in gently avoiding lumps. Add the orange juice and mix well. If using nuts,add 1 to 2 tablespoons of dry mix with the nuts, stir to coat.
- Fold in the remaining dry ingredients.Fold in the grated carrots, stir well. Fold in the nuts followed by the beets.
- Transfer the batter to the pan and bake for 30 minutes.The cake is done when a toothpick/tester inserted in the middle comes out clean .
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Invert onto a cooling rack and cool completely .
Important: Values are only estimates. Actuals vary depending on ingredients and serving size.
- The carrots and beats need to be uncooked and grated fine .
- If beets juices are oozing out , place the grated beets in a strainer and give a gentle squeeze to remove extra juices .
- Do NOT skimp on the spices . These are required to tame the beet flavors.
- If using nuts lightly toast them .
- I recommend coconut oil as the mild nutty sweet flavor of coconut goes well with this cake , but any flavorless oil can be substituted .
- Whole Wheat flour can be substituted for AP Flour either partially or fully . In this case extra 2 tbsp of orange juice for each half cup of WW flour . If going for full substitution use only 1 1/2 C WW flour and leave the other ingredients unchanged .